Before complaining

The Public Protector is a complaints body of last resort. Before you complain to the Public Protector, you should try to solve the problem yourself by:

  • Speaking to the official(s) involved;
  • Writing to the person in charge of the official(s) such as the Head of the Department, the Chief Executive Officer or the Municipal Manager; and
  • You may also consider approaching a Member of Parliament or Provincial Legislature.